Suburban Medical & Wellness Center
Medical Clinic & Wellness Center located in Schaumburg, Algonquin, Barrington, and Hanover Park, IL
Lower back pain is a very common problem among adults in the United States, and it’s one of the primary reasons for missed days at work. As a full-service internal medicine and wellness clinic, the highly-trained team at Suburban Medical & Wellness Center, with offices in Schaumburg, Algonquin, Barrington, and Hanover Park, Illinois, manage lower back pain with medical care, chiropractic care, massage therapy, and physical therapy. Call today or schedule an appointment online.
Lower Back Pain Q & A
What are the symptoms of lower back pain?
Lower back pain encompasses a wide range of symptoms, from a dull ache to debilitating pain. Some of these symptoms include:
- Dull, achy pain limited to the lower back
- Pain that worsens with sitting or standing
- Stinging or burning pain that travels down your leg
- Muscle spasms or tightness
In acute cases of lower back pain, you may start to feel better within a few days or weeks. But some people experience lower back pain that lasts three months or longer.
Why does my lower back hurt?
In most cases, you may experience lower back pain due to a mechanical issue. Some of the most common causes of lower back pain include:
- Muscle sprain or strain
- Herniated or ruptured disc
- Degenerative disc disease
- Radiculopathy (compression or inflammation of a nerve)
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal column)
- Spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebrae)
Although very rare, in some cases lower back pain may be due to an underlying medical condition, such as an infection or tumor, which is why you should get an evaluation when lower back discomfort lasts more than a week.
How is lower back pain managed?
The team at Suburban Medical & Wellness Center take a multidisciplinary approach to managing your lower back pain, which may include medical care, chiropractic care, massage therapy, and physical therapy.
- Medical care: Medical care for your lower back pain may include heat and ice along with over-the-counter or prescribed pain medication. Your doctor may also recommend injections if oral medication can’t control your pain.
- Chiropractic care: Gentle manipulation of your spine with the chiropractic experts at Suburban Medical & Wellness Center improves alignment to relieve pressure and pain on your spinal cord and nerves.
- Massage therapy: Massage therapy reduces pain caused by tight muscles and improves flexibility.
- Physical therapy: The team comes up with an exercise plan to improve back and core muscle strength for better positioning and function of your lower back, reducing pain and symptoms.
If conservative medical management fails to improve your lower back pain, the team may suggest an evaluation by a surgeon to see if you need surgery.
For lower back pain care, call Suburban Medical & Wellness Center today or schedule an appointment online.